Friday, February 20, 2009

NC Trip - Preparing

Preparing
To prepare for our mountain/snow trip Adam put new tires on my vehicle, which we were grateful for. You really need a very dependable car/truck, because you do a lot of excelling and braking while going up and down the winding roads. You cannot have any fears of this type of driving because there are not many places to pull over and get your bearings. The few times we were able we did pull over to allow the locals to cruise by us. I know if some mountain person is reading this they may be laughing, but have you ever been to Florida? It’s flat!
I read on several sites, do not trust your GPS in the mountains…well we found that to be true from day one. On our way we were making good timing, real good timing, shaving 2 hours off the projected length of the trip, even after 4 stops. We were about 45 minutes away from our destination when the path got rural and rugged. I for one did not like it at all (flashbacks to my childhood vacations to NH and upstate NY) and was nervous, but when it had us heading straight up a very rocky road that was narrow in certain areas I begged Adam to turn back. Being the great husband he is, he knew I was uncomfortable, so was our son. Not only did he have to go back to where we came from, he had to do it going in reverse because he didn’t have somewhere to turn around. When we finally came to a gas station / store we found out that many people have done the same thing that follow GPS. It was attempting to take us the “fastest” or “shortest” route; I believe it fell under the category of “dangerous”, but that is not listed on a Tom Tom.
Once we were given directions from a local we were on track and Tom Tom never let us down again, recognizing all the roads but this time we were on the other side of Beech Mountain. After that I really didn’t feel as nervous on any other road, I guess because we already drove the worst one on our trip. So I recommend using your GPS but when further in the mountains have written directions until you are on track.
Photobucket

No comments: