Friday, December 5, 2008

Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving, the traditional foods, Macy’s parade, fall décor, being with family & friends and having a day that is solely used to reflect on being thankful for all the blessings in life. Every Thanksgiving since 1991 I have worked, but no “poor you” needed because most of those years it was my choice to do so. Now it has become traditional and feels right for me to be there for the day to help make the meal smoother and more importantly pleasant. Knowing someone else has emptiness especially during a day that was once enjoyable for them motivates me to be more kind even if I am rushing around and somewhat stressed that things may not go the way I imagined. I know much of those feelings from the residents where I work result from personal losses over the years, not just of loved ones either, but the loss of preparing their meal, baking and maybe even hosting. Every year I will be with people who feel that way, some may even be negative to me because I am so happy. But I shrug it off and make the best of it. I think that those that join me to assist in some way come away with another meaning of Thanksgiving. Just because a person is surrounded by others does not mean they don’t feel alone so reach out to someone and not just on Thanksgiving.
Photobucket
Me at work this Thanksgiving with my mom and nephew

No comments: