Friday, December 5, 2008

Beyond Little League

Travel Ball
This group is completely different that a local little league level. The girls are more advanced in their skills and parents have to be involved, no doubt about it. My daughter got into travel ball when she was spotted playing at a local game. She was good at the time but I think this particular “scout” from travel ball was really seeking girls to fill a team. The practices were more often and for games we had to travel, makes sense huh?
The 1st team she was on her dad helped coach, but this bad new bears group never won a thing. The majority of the girls were older and more experienced than Ky so she sat out a lot. With older girls came attitudes and at times trouble. I was not real into it and didn’t connect with many of the parents even though I was married to the coach.
Within time we saw Kyla’s potential and started looking into placing her with girls her own age…best thing we did.
We have been with the team she is on now for over a year and found our softball home. She truly loves the game and after playing on a local level as well as travel she finally gave up on LL. I was a little sad because we made many friends through lots of seasons with little league but realize it was for the best. On the local level girls were pushed to the back burner. Of course this is not true for many areas but sadly it was in ours.
Travel ball is first and foremost about one thing, the girls. That makes the difference. Now don’t get me wrong, it cost time and money, both of which lots of us do not have now. But we feel it is so worth it. Our daughter is constantly busy and does not get in trouble. She hangs around a great group of girls, most through ball even though they do not attend the same school, and the girls that I am aware of, all get great grades.
Photobucket
*My favorite player to watch

Honestly just a few years ago I didn’t even know travel ball existed; now I realize it is a whole new world. So if you have a daughter who loves the game check into a travel ball team. Now If I could just think of a way to cash in on this great sport….

No comments: