Sunday, December 28, 2008

Think Ahead

My Marley, God bless him, is a pure Yellow Lab…no I didn’t get the name from “Marley & me”. We got him just before the book came out, and yes I did read it – it was good.
Labs are prone to some illness, just as any breed is. We soon realized that Marley had severe allergies…a very long list. The symptoms didn’t start until he was almost 2 but when they hit, they were terrible for him. Test after test, vet appointments and lots of money we finally found out the many things he could not longer have or be around, including many food items and trees in Florida. He ended up on a costly dry food but is so worth it. He is such a great dog.
Now the purpose is not to brag about my allergic K9 but to say, if you are going to get a pure breed, which tends to have more health issues than a mutt, look into pet insurance. Be responsible no matter what and make sure you get all the shots and other things needed to be a pet owner.

No comments: