Monday, February 9, 2009

We Are Soldiers Still

“We Are Soldiers Still” by Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore (USA Ret.) and Joseph L. Galloway The first thing I should have done was return this hardback to the library and get “We Were Soldiers Once…and Young” not realizing I checked out the sequel…but I was hooked after reading the Forward by Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf. The account is the journey remembering the battlefields of Vietnam, mainly focusing on Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang. I have to admit I never realized how much hand to hand combat took place in Vietnam, what an ugly war that resulted with the loss of so many lives on both sides. Gen. Moore travels back to come face to face with his enemy and in the end the become friends with a mutual respect. Much of this book had immense stories.
The description of noises, smells and the scene give such a painting of what this place was like. We should all thank the men (and women) who had to endure the hardships of this war, during and after. Gen. Moore shares lessons in leadership and spoke about how war should be the absolute last card any national leaders should play, and that if these decision were made by leaders in the military they would guard that war card to the end. In chapter 12 “On War” he writes that no one is more cautious that an old soldier about war. The end of the book had me grieving for people I don’t even know but who were truly heroes: Rick Rescorla and Julie Moore – look them up, you’ll see why.
I would recommend this book to anyone old enough to understand and know I will have much more respect for the Vets of Nam when I go to the Moving Wall.
As said in the book, the greatest lesson learned from war is to cherish peace.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you must see the movie, it' so good. I didn't know he wrote a 2nd book.