Sunday, February 1, 2009

Headaches Part 2

One of the biggest steps I had to take to help ease some of my headaches was to quit smoking. I was raised in a house where a parent smoked and married into a smoking family. I enjoyed smoking. Luckily about the time I had to stop so did a few others in the family for their own health reasons making it a little easier since I wasn’t suffering alone with no nicotine. My husband, who is prone to Pleurisy, quit very quickly and we implemented the “no smoking in the house rule” following. My quitting was a little more of a struggle but wanting children in the near future was my motivation. I am not a smoker who can tell you the day I had my last cigarette, I could about how many years it’s been, but I am a terrible ex-smoker because I can’t stand it now at all. Quitting has help with my headaches. Did you know that smoking and 2nd hand smoke (now they say 3rd hand…ever heard of that?) can contribute to a headache because the nicotine causes the blood vessels in the brain to constrict. Many articles will tell you that during a migraine the blood vessels on the brain expand. This may cause sensitivity to noise and light as well as feeling nauseous.
Okay so what if you are not a smoker and you still get these headaches? Know that being around the smoke will more than likely make them worse.
My headache nightmare certainly didn’t end when I quit smoking but I’m sure it helped.

Photobucket
What is Pleurisy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurisy


No comments: