Sunday, January 4, 2009

Good Night Sleep Tight

Welcoming home a new baby brings on many new challenges and an overwhelming sense of responsibility. I can remember the first night we had our daughter home. Her room was directly across from ours, I could see right into it. I had her vintage Winnie the Pooh night light on, it had an orangy glow. I lay down to sleep and felt my chest heavy with worry. We were now accountable for her life. Of course we had the baby monitor and yes I would put it to my ear to listen to her breathe, then get up and check on her to make sure the monitor was working, occasionally tap her to still make sure she was okay. I think all new parents do that.
Photobucket
While on maternity leave I found it easier to have her in bed with me for a nap, but soon realized that fears would not let me sleep because I was afraid of rolling over on her, her getting lost under a pillow, in the comforter, you name it. So from then on she never slept in our bed. Over time I realized this was the best decision because once you start that habit it may be hard to stop. I know quite a few people who have older kids that still wander into their bed. This can affect many things aside from sleep. My advice is to not start it. Having the kid’s camp out on a Sunday morning is completely different then having them crawl into bed with you on a regular basis. Good night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good tip for this soon to be mom