Friday, September 5, 2008

Recent Review

Recent Book Review
This is a new section because it honestly has been a long time since I read a book cover to cover. Mainly my reading time has been spent looking at magazines. I know, I could do better things with my time but I like seeing what the stars are up to. Books about true events are like my favorite shows – reality, except I can pick them up to continue to the story at my leisure, which is great for a night owl. So I have been going to the library every Friday after I drop the kids off to find my next tale.
"Love, Lucy" – the only book about America’s favorite redhead with her own words “as told to”. The manuscripts were found after her death by her children and published years later. Knowing how her story ended before reading the book I read it cover to cover in no time. So many interesting facts and details of her life. I was a fan at an early age and loved to watch old reruns of “I Love Lucy” followed by the “Honeymooners”. I can remember running to the TV with a blank sheet of paper and pencil ready to trace the big heart at the start of the credits. It was perfect. Reading her story I admired her much more as a person, then as Lucy Ricardo. Starting the book I was still sad that her and Desi didn’t work out but by the time her marriage ended in the book I understood why. Interesting facts: he had a relation to the Bacardi industry and Ginger Rodgers mother took Lucy under her wing.
Photobucket
“sTORI Telling” – this was a loaner from Ashley and perhaps I wouldn’t have even read it on my own but it turned out to be interesting enough to read to the end. Certainly not the best written book but the reader comes away knowing that living in a house known as the “Manor” doesn’t make your life rich and problem free. Her mother and father had unrealistic ways to show love. If you do not really know who Tori Spelling is this book is not for you but if you were a 90210 fan, or a fan now you would enjoy it. I have to admit, I never really liked her but since becoming a mother my opinion has changed.
“Marley & Me” – I have owned this book since I bought my own Marley, he was 3 yesterday! I started to read it and life became to busy so in the book basket it went. This summer with the movie making headlines in the gossip magazines I picked it back up and on vacation it went with me. This book was just so good, not only to a dog owner with a yellow Lab named Marley but to any pet lover. The author hit the nail on the head over and over with his recollection of events he shared with Marley. Knowing that all dogs go to heaven, I had to skip a very small part of one of the last chapters. Although my Neeko and Penny have been gone a little while now (3 years for Neeko next month) it was still painful to read another person sharing their experience. I was sorry to reach the end of the book but cannot wait for the movie this Christmas! (They even have a child version of the book titled “Marley”)
Photobucket
My Marley watching fish swim by him in our front yard following Tropical Storm Fay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought Marley and Me was a GREAT book, not sure if I'll see the movie though.