Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Daytona

Daytona International SpeedwayAny race fan would have to stop here, duh. I was never a real fan but did watch some of the races on TV with my husband. One year he bought tickets to share the NASCAR experience with me and surprisingly I was excited to go. When the cars excelled by at high speeds, you could smell the rubber on the tracks, feel the vibrations & heat from all the motors and could barely make out who was who as they passed. Everyone would stand up like they were preparing for the wave, yelling out numbers and names. Before the main race of the day we used our pit passes which allows access to the middle of the track. You don’t realize until you are on the track just how steep it is, you could easily get a running start towards the pit, but you would look silly (your not in the race) so be careful. While there we got to see one of the Waltrip brothers, I forget which one, up close doing interviews and then the highlight, Dale Jr. being driven by us on a golf cart. Everyone yelled and he waved. He really is a cute looking country boy. You have to get back over from the pit by a certain time other wise you have a long route to get back to your seats.
Photobucket
Let me tell you this may be the only place that is more expensive than Disney, food & drinks were costly. Bring what you are allowed and go buy a cheap poncho from the $ store. It rained on us and they were expensive there. I think I even took a photo of the sign with all the prices to put in my scrapbook as a joke. Seating is tight so also be prepared with something to make it more comfortable. By the way, Im now a fan...not big die hard 'Get R Done' type but I like the races.

No comments: