Monday, September 8, 2008

Basic Training - A sisters point of view

I am from a family of 4, 2 girls 2 boys. My sister and I are much older than my brothers (17 year spread) in a sense we grew up separately. So when our “baby” brother wanted to join the Army we all protested. My nephew had already went in and returned home after being a part of OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom) following 9/11. I watched my sister-in-law (and other family members) stress waiting to hear from her son, or his whereabouts. One particular time she didn't hear anything for weeks. I couldn’t imagine my older mother go through the same thing (By older, I mean she is older than my sister-in-law).
School wasn't Paul’s thing and back on the Army train he went. This time we weren't able to talk him out of it and before we could wave our flag he was gone. This is what he wanted and now we had to show our support.
Basic Training can be a worrying time for family members, simply because you just don’t know what is going on and it may be the 1st time your soldier is away. But rest assure, at least they are on US soil. I think Paul snuck a few phone calls during his 12 week training, but they are not suppose to. Graduation information comes to you, but let me tell ya, it is last minute! Be prepared. We planned, as a group, to make the drive from FL to SC to see our brother become a soldier. Luckily with my Internet searching I found a time frame so we could prepare our trip.
The base was a hustle and bustle of visitors like costumers searching for the latest Christmas toy, no one knew where to go but they were moving. Fort Jackson was huge. Rolling hills and in full spring bloom – not good for an allergy suffer but pretty to the rest of us. We prepared for cooler weather for our Florida bodies…well most of us did, and waited and waited and waited.
Photobucket
* I took this photo while waiting for Paul – one tree in bloom in a see of bark. It was off to the side of the family crowd
From out of our view we could hear the Army chants starting. They were deep in tone and perfectly in sequence. To see these brand new soldiers come over the hills brought tears to my eyes. It is an unbelievable feeling of pride to witness this. We knew what Company Paul was in, the trouble was we didn't know which was coming. As each group came we quickly scanned the crowd. From face to face, each male had a shaved head which made it feel like we were trying to find the old needle in the haystack. Soon we realized the Company flag was waving above the soldiers to identify them and calmed down knowing Paul hadn't come yet. Row after row came until finally we recognized the group we had been waiting for.
I was ready with my camcorder and Linda was following along with her camera. Quickly my scan began again starting with the 1st row, then the next and so on, there were so many to look at. Then my heart started pounding more I saw Paul. I was yelling to the family, Linda was next to me yelling, I was trying to film while keeping up with the soldiers marching in unison. I kept saying “boy he looks so different” “man, he is skinny” “wow, look how different he looks”. All this while Linda and I continued to run beside him filming and snapping shots. Then it hit me. I wasn't filming Paul, I had no idea where Paul was. This soldier was so excited to see people yelling at him and taking him picture he gave us many ½ cracked smiles from the side of his face. What! Where was Paul? I was waisting my time here. Linda said “Look there’s Paul” – he was right behind my new adopted solider who would forever be in our family video.
Your soldier will be skinnier, have a shaved head, muscular and very respectful. Sir and maim will come out of his or her mouth just as much as a dog licks himself.
The welcome ceremony was quick and went by each Company. Be prepared to purchase tickets to a family dinner and pay for professional photos. We knew about this ahead of time but I saw many people who just couldn't’t afford it. Probably the cost of the trip was enough for them. My mom sure didn't have the funds to get Paul's photos but we couldn't pass, so we chipped in. They also sell videos of training and a yearbook type book. Of course this may not be true for all the bases. I would have passed on the training video because it doesn’t focus on your soldier.
Photobucket
*This was a lake we ending up taking a bunch of photos near, very scenic at Fort Jackson and although our weather was overcast
Our time went by fast and we quickly learned the Army doesn’t do what you think they will. This would be a lesson we would be reminded of many times during Paul’s service. Make every effort to attend the Basic Graduation because seeing soldiers scan the crowd hoping for a familiar face and be disappointed is just heartbreaking. *Currently while I write this he is in LA training for 1 month – he has already been to Iraq once.
Pray for our military Psalm 91

No comments: