Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Weird Science

My kids are so opposite: one excels with little effort and the other would rather be electronically entertained. From the time she was able by daughter dove head first into science projects – and has placed every year, even going to the county competition. The first year she participated in the fair we went to an informative night at the school, my son always went. I paid attention and took notes so we would put it all together correctly. We then went into classrooms to conduct experiments and check our results. I was surprised that my son, who not only joined in, also guessed each right. I encouraged him to do a science project and by the time we left the school he already had an idea. Each year (kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd) we jointly picked a project that he could do with his class so he would completely understand it, and he did. At the fair each participant is asked questions from the judges. Although he was nervous, he knew what he was talking about. He received a ribbon every year that he did it. Now that he will be expected to turn one in next year he will be ready and even said he is looking forward to it. Suggestion for a child who might not want to get to involved – find something that will give quick results. My daughter conducted one over a course of 2 -3 months. She was patient but my son probably would have been bored at the end of the 1st week.
Photobucket

No comments: