Thursday, May 29, 2008

Family Night

Family Night – Time just seems to slip by and each day brings new things to get done. Many times I think about the things I want to do with my children before they are off on their own. I grew up in a smaller town with small town values and one thing we did have often was family dinners. We all sat at the table together and talked while we ate, not TV, no phones, just us. I think my mom being a stay-at-home mom was a big reason why we could do that. Now that I am a mom myself I just do not have the kind of time needed to prepare dinner and then cleaning up. But as my kids grew I realized that I didn’t want them to miss that. So we started “family night”. We picked Wednesday to have it because it was in the middle of the week and it worked for us. I have the kids’ alternate weeks. Whoever’s week it is gets to plan the menu, help cook, set the table, clean up and pick an activity for the 4 of us to do together (games, bike ride, drive) but nothing that involves money. I was so surprised at the excitement they each had when it was “their” week. And the other one got to spend some one on one time with dad! So even if you cannot find the time to cook meals every night, set aside one each week for Family Night and see what a difference it makes.
**See Games for ideas on things to do
Photobucket

No comments: