Saturday, August 1, 2009

Rude Parents

Rude parents – I think in anything competitive you will deal with rude kids and parents, they come in all shapes, sizes and colors. It’s hard when your child is on the receiving end of comments whether from the opposing team or their own coaches. I learned years ago to let the coaches do their job but I have also walked away when I thought they were unfairly targeting a kid who simply made a mistake. In all the time I spent watching my daughter’s softball I have only critiqued her maybe twice. I figure she knows when she did something wrong, and she hears it from if not one coach, more than one, so I am just the mom there to support. Plus the fact that her dad is one of her coaches so I am not needed to point anything out. Now that being said, you also have to deal with parents. Its one thing to have your child’s peers say something but when an adult joins in it is just immature on their half. If you want to say something, use positive phrases for your team not negative for the other. If you’re a coach, I don’t think yelling at your player in front of the entire group of spectators is an effective way to improve their game. Speaking to them with calmness would probably have much more of an impact.

No comments: