Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ichetucknee River

When in the Ichetucknee area you have many places to explore underwater.
The river itself is truly lazy. In a tube or whatever way you choose to go down, the current is just enough to carry you winding through the old trees for a ride that takes about 2 hours or more depending on where you go in.
If you are early enough to be one of the first for the day you will see much more wildlife. I, with some teenage girls, was ahead of the crowd during one trip and we saw so much more than the previous day; herons, turtles sunning, large fish and even beavers. I took my (expensive) camera on our first trip. It was double bagged and I was in a rubber boat. I got awesome shots and was happy with my decision even though others questioned my sanity. Of course the 2nd day when I saw much more I did not have it.
The water stays an average 72 degrees all year, which is cool to us Floridians. I totally recommend purchasing your own snorkeling equipment to take along – you will get good use out of it.
Getting to the river from the drop off area – yes they have a drop off and pick up area, is quite a walk. Not only is a little bit of a hike but you have to carry your tube. The 1st time we left our shoes, which was a mistake in my book, the 2nd time we planned ahead and all had them on (flip flop type). Some of us put them in their rubber boats or another option is to tie them to you tube – bring something to tie them with, we brought some thin rope (my smart husband thought of that).
Keep in mind you are not supposed to bring food/drinks on the trip. Leave some in your car at the end because you will be thirsty or even hungry. You have to plan ahead if you are transporting yourself (some places provide this service) to the drop off location to the pick up because it is a more than walking distance.
Yes it is a little bit of a walk, but so worth it because tubing, boating…whatever, down the Ichetucknee is a great experience.
http://www.ichetucknee.org/springs.html

No comments: