Monday, May 18, 2009

Snakes

Snakes
I can remember when I lived in NY and a friend, who lived in Fl, wrote a letter. In it she talked about how she was mowing the lawn and almost mowed over a snake. A snake? I had never seen a snake in the wild in my life so I was surprised by this. Florida has snakes???
A few years later I was living in the great snake state myself. But it would be years before I actually saw one with my own eyes, well at least one long enough to be a snake and not a worm to me. I remember the day clearly. My dog was digging a hole, I wanted to catch her, and so I quietly snuck around the house to come up from behind her. I carefully put my bare foot down in out slightly high grass when a black slithery thing shot up on both sides. I ran, it went the other way and Lady (my dog) was caught but I didn’t care.
Since then I have realized these black snakes mean no harm and no longer bother me.
I am no expert on snakes, nor am I a fan; I have 2 in the house; my husband and my daughter. I have seen snakes in the wild, recently on a trip to the springs in North Florida, but I do not know anyone that has ever been attacked, bitten, killed or constricted by a snake!
Remember this:
Red on Black, Friend of Jack. Red on Yellow, Watch out, Fellow.
Red touches yellow, kills a fellow. Red touches black, friend of Jack

No comments: