Monday, April 13, 2009

Key West

Key West
When going with adults only I prefer to be as close to Duval Street as possible, we don’t drive once we arrive. Renting bikes is an easy way to go and both bed & breakfast type places we stayed at had them.
Angelina House – was a bordello and gambling house years ago. Rooms are nice & neat, owners are great and you feel so far from the craziness of Duval Street. We stayed here with another couple, I wouldn’t bring kids here. http://www.angelinaguesthouse.com/
Nassau House – this place was so tropical and felt like being in the Keys. Each room had a theme – we were in the Captains Quarters. The backyard felt worlds away from the closeness of the street, they made the most of a small ingound pool and had a happy hour daily. I do think the owners have changed since I was there which may make a difference. http://www.nassauhouse.com/
Shula’s on the Beach – all I can say is this food was so delicious…and expensive but what a great meal we had here with friends. While dining we saw 2 separate weddings going on. Worth it if you can spend the money. http://www.donshula.com/
Turtle Kraals – known mostly for it’s oyster bar, I have been here several times. Good food, not to high priced and right on the water near a turtle rescue – which always seemed to have a juvenile turtle getting rehab. http://www.turtlekraals.com/
Southernmost Point – you have to stop here to take that famous picture that says “90 miles to Cuba”.http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11310
Key West Lighthouse – (& keepers quarters museum) a great view, watch for wild chickens roaming around. We went up to the top and my legs were wobbly; the staircase was narrow and in the middle so you had no sides to make you feel more secure. http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=366
Ghost Tours – I cannot remember which one we went on but it met in a hotel lobby and was a walking tour. I think they are fun and you get to learn some history. Of course locals may make fun of you, which happened to us. The following night we spotted the walking tour and thought it would be fun to yell at them. Okay, so we were drinking, and on bikes, and I came up with the lame idea to yell “Beetlejuice”. Well our pack of bikes were speeding, at least I thought so, towards the ghost seekers, then I started the chorus of yells “Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice”, it wasn’t until I was done that I realized not only was I the only one yelling, I was the only one there. My crew stayed back for a good laugh. Did I mention I was wearing a black & white striped shirt, so I stuck out the rest of the night to those that saw me make a fool of myself. Moral of my story; drinking and biking do not mixJ.
Trolley Tours – (Conch Tour Train, Old Town Trolley)luckily most things are within walking distance but these are a nice break especially if it’s hot and again you get to learn a lot about the key and history. (Old Town Trolley is the same company I used in St. Augustine)
Also Bone Island Shuttle is a great way to get around, we did this when we were camping on Sugarloaf since driving and parking on Key West is limited. www.boneislandshuttle.com
If you are going to snorkel and kayak, look into packages. They may include something you didn’t plan on doing but save you $$ in the long run.
Dry Tortugas – National Park Ferry Yankee Freedom II http://www.yankeefreedom.com/– this is an all day thing, departing from Key West you take a long ride on a Caramaran for a day of snorkeling at the fort. I would love to do this one day. They have other ways to get to the Tortugas and even have camping trips. http://www.nps.gov/drto/
Sunset Celebration – plan to attend this daily event, unless of course the sun wasn’t out to begin with. The sun going down starts the party, so if you have kids be prepared to leave shortly after this or stay and see some crazy sights. The celebration takes place in Mallory Square complete with street acts like musicians, magic, painted people and animal acts.
Mallory Square – An area with an Island-Cuban feel. You can find unique gifts to purchase; shell warehouse, sea sponges, the Key West Shipwreck Historeum that has a 60’ lookout tower (I have never been), Key West Aquarium built in 1934 (has a touch tank, daily feedings and shows), Historic Memorial Sculpture Garden, Chamber of Commerce. If you are interested in a Sunset / Stargazer cruise many go out here: Schooner Western Union
Mel Fisher Museum - go see sunken treasures from Spain’s Golden Galleonshttp://www.melfisher.com/
Southern Most House – built in 1896 with guided or on your own tours go to www.southernmosthouse.com
Little White House Museum – listed on the register of historic places (home to Harry S. Truman) We rode bikes past here but never went in.

No comments: