Monday, November 24, 2008

What the????

When writing to your solider you will follow their name with lots of numbers and letters. Why? Well I tried to compile a simple explanation and hope it is correct.
If not I’m sure someone will tell me one day.
The Army has many units which a soldier may belong. Say you lived in:
North America, USA, Florida,
Brevard County, City of Melbourne,
neighborhood of Windover Farms, on Main Street,
and finally house 1234.
This is all true and in the military the unit is described from the smallest to the largest
(like starting with house #1234, following their name).
I will use these comparisons below so you understand it better.
Your soldiers name (house number #1234)
Next unit up is a Squad (Main Street), which has 2 teams, usually 8-10 soldiers.
Squads are numbered.
The next larger unit is a Platoon (Windover Farms),
which consists of 3 or 4 squads. They are numbered.
A Company (Melbourne) is 3 or 4 platoons.
Next would be a Battalion (Brevard County) and they have 3 - 5 companies.
The larger unit (Florida) can be called a Regiment and be made up of 2 or more battalions, they have numbered labels like 84th Inf Reg etc. You may have a unit called a Brigade which can have 3 to 6 battalions. They also have numbered labels.
Then the larger unity is a Division (USA) and can have up to 3 brigades.
Divisions have number labels like 3rd Infantry Division.
Finally the branch of the military (North America).

Many times I read something and wonder “is this my brother’s group?” and after learning
this I realized one small piece of information can be about a large group of soldiers.
I’m not sure if I am 100% correct on this but this is pretty much the idea.

No comments: