Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Labor & Delivery

First, it’s called labor for a reason. It is perfectly natural to be nervous about the upcoming birth of your child knowing you alone will be pushing him/her into the world. Of course it can go many ways, as long as you end up with a healthy baby it is all worth it.
My first pregnancy was text book to a point. Once I was over the initial scares that went along with my own health things progressed as they should. My weight gain was right on target and I remained active far into my 8th month. One night I climbed on my kitchen counters and stencils cows. I would not recommend doing that at all while pregnant, nor would I recommend stenciling cows :). That was the only night my feet swelled, my husband wasn’t too happy about it either. After working a full day I continued my nightly walking routine with some friends and I truly think that had a lot to do with my delivery going so well.
We of course knew we would take part in the ever popular Lamaze class. Starting it meant the baby’s arrival was near which was exciting. The classes were helpful with tips, what to expect and things to pack that we didn’t think of. We, yes we, worked on breathing techniques and ways to relax. They encourage you to have a focal point during labor to concentrate on, show massage techniques (I knew I would take advantage of this one) and of course have you watch films.
Now most of you have probably seen “A Baby Story” and joyful programs like that but these videos were different. They showed women screaming at their spouse with their heads spinning several times around, all the while a baby’s head crowing, not to mention that it looks like a bloody pumpkin. I decided that it was best to look away beside it was truly making me ache in places I do not care to discuss.
I couldn’t wait for my water to break and constantly looked for any sign – a big gush running announcing “here comes the baby”…but it never happened. Two days before my daughters big arrival I worked all day with cramping. I had Braxton-Hicks for several months so I chalked it up as another set of those. The following day, a Friday, I called in because I just didn’t sleep much. Ever heard of nesting? Well oddly it’s true. I spent all Friday cleaning and organizing the house. Nothing else was out of the ordinary, and still no water fall.
That night my husband went fishing. I know your thinking – what a jerk! But my due date was still over 2 weeks away and I encouraged him to go, it was his 2nd love at the time. He came home and woke me up to share the great news of his big catch. Wow – just what I wanted to be woken up for. It was 2am and he asked me to take some photos, being the wonderful wife I am I obliged. Just as I push the old Polaroid button I got the strongest cramp that had me doubled over. After an hour of trying to sleep it off we were on our way to the hospital.
Being so uncomfortable I was worried they would send me home because I still was not due. Once in hospital bed I was checked by a nurse who informed me that I wasn’t that far dilated, however, my ammoniated sac was broke and probably had been for quite some time. No gush of water still but I had a leak!
After waiting for nature to take its course with no luck I was induced and encouraged to keep moving around to bring on labor. I can tell you by this time I was highly sensitive to smells. The alcohol on gauze taped to my arm smelled so bad, bad like hangover alcohol yuk smell, I tore it off and threw it down in the hallway during my encouraged walk. Let me tell you, the walks - they suck too...who wants to have their entire body cramping to get a baby out while taking a stroll?
Now inducing doesn’t necessarily mean you will be having you baby ASAP. Everyone is different. I was the ASAP though. Before long we were blowing and breathing in patterns that everyone else seemed to remember except me. My midwife and husband were in unison like a song with me trailing behind totally off beat. Message? Well my body was so aware of everything that any extra touch was too much so I lost out on that benefit.

Then finally my baby girl arrived, screaming, bloody and red but she couldn’t have been any more beautiful.
With my 2nd pregnancy we decided to skip the lamaze classes. For one we already went through with it, another I now had a 3 ½ year old to tend to. Keep in mind – you can never compare kids even when pregnant. Everything I expected didn’t happen; it was all new this time. The 9 months were long and very hard on my body. I was on bed rest and miserable. When we went to bring my baby boy into the world I was overdue.

This time I had a focal point – a picture of a woman holding her baby with a saying. At the time I could care less what the quote was I just focused. I went to the dr. earlier in the day and was told “see you next week”. I could have cried I was so uncomfortable and had a hard time breathing. Within a few hours contractions came on and were close together. We were only allowed to stay in the hospital because no one was on the floor and I lived 2 towns south.
Once again smells got to me. The nurse had so much perfume on it made me want to vomit. Attention nurses on the maternity floor – we don’t care that you smell good or sexy, we care that you don’t smell.
My midwife told the hospital staff she would stop by after her day at the office. Well I was glad to listen to my body because as soon as she sat down she said “we have the head crowing” with such a calmness. A few pushes and out he came. No bloody pumpkin thank God.
I delivered both babies natural with no pain medicine. I was somewhat fearful of the epidural (the reason will be in my health blog one day) so I never considered it. Honestly, once you hold your child all your pain is gone…at least for that moment. Enjoy the moment no matter how you get there!

Photobucket
This is the same picture I focused on while delivering my son. Ironically that Christmas ‘House of Lloyd’ sold the same print. The quote says “I never understood the love of a mother, until I became one myself”
How true!
Photobucket

No comments: